he Cathedral of St. James (Domkirche) is an example of the Baroque style of the 18th century in Austria.
The Cathedral of Innsbruck was rebuilt in 1717-24 in Baroque style by the architect Johann Jacob Herkommer. The building was badly damaged during the Second World War, but later it was rebuilt.
During the renovation work, from 1990 to 1993, a modern chapel was built to enable pilgrims and other visitors to spend time in silent prayer.
The structure has a typical architecture with large arched and round windows on the facade and two symmetrical towers with gilded clocks topped with green domes. A large dome covers the transept.
The interior is fully decorated in the Baroque style. The main attraction is the altar dedicated to Maria Hilf (Maria helping). Above the altar you can see the famous painting of the Virgin Mary, written by the artist Lucas Cranach the Elder. The frescoes and stucco were made by the brothers Asamas, who are considered to be one of the most significant representatives of the German late Baroque.